- Finance Department
- External Audit Reports
External Audit Reports
Government financial statements are annual financial reports that present revenues collected and amounts spent. Financial statements usually include a statement of activities, and often some type of reconciliation. Cash flow statements are often included to provide relevant information about the cash receipts and cash payments of the City during the fiscal year.
Annual Comprehensive Financial Reports (ACFR)
An Annual Comprehensive Financial Report is a set of U.S. government financial statements comprising the financial report of a state, municipal, or other governmental entity that complies with the accounting requirements promulgated by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB). These reports are audited by an independent auditor using generally accepted government auditing standards. The ACFR will contain the actual results of the prior year’s financial activities. The ACFR will be comprised of three sections.
- Introductory - Guides reader through report.
- Financial - Presents the basic financial statements with notes, and the independent auditor’s report.
- Statistical - Provides additional financial and statistical data, including data about financial trends that may better inform the reader about the government’s activities.
The Management Discussion and Analysis (MD&A), located in the Financial section of the ACFR, will provide the "high points" that may be of most interest to our citizens. The MD&A will describe the previous year’s results and key factors influencing them; shows the current financial condition; and provides an overview of likely future prospects.
Management’s Discussion & Analysis - June 30, 2021 Financial Highlights
- The assets and deferred outflows of resources of the City of Las Cruces exceeded its liabilities and differed inflows of resources at the close of the most recent fiscal year by $600,908,862 (net position). Of this amount, ($85,367,422) (unrestricted net position) may be used to meet the government’s ongoing obligations to citizens and creditors.
- The City’s governmental funds reported combined fund balances of $244,636,121. This is an increase of $17,844,232 in comparison with the prior year combined fund balance amount of $226,791,889. Of the total fund balance, $21.5 million is fund balance available for spending at the City's discretion (sum of unassigned and assigned fund balance).
- Fund balance of the General Fund was $51.4 million. At the close of the current fiscal year, unassigned fund balance of the General Fund was $17.6 million or 19.3% of the total General Fund expenditures of $91.1 million.
Net position of the City's enterprise funds increased by $30.8 million (12.3%) yielding a net position of $251,300,551.
The total long-term liabilities for the governmental and business-type activities decreased by $1,188,204 to a total of $282,752,530. Of this amount, $267,025,301 represented total bonds and notes payable. More detailed information about the City’s fiscal year 2021 and previous external audit reports can be found in the External Audit Reports section of the Finance Department.
View the full ACFR Reports.
Popular Annual Financial Reports (PAFR)
The Popular Annual Financial Report (PAFR), is an easy-to-read publication that provides citizens with an overview of how their tax dollars are managed and spent. The report includes highlights and simplified information from the ACFR. The PAFR will highlight our city’s progress, finances, achievements, and our future key initiatives.
View the PAFR Reports.
Partner Agency Financial Statements and Independent Auditor’s Reports
Animal Service Center of the Mesilla Valley (ASCMV)
View Animal Service Center of the Mesilla Valley Financial Statements and Independent Auditors’ Reports in our Archive Center.
Mesilla Valley Regional Dispatch Authority (MVRDA)
View MVRDA Financial Statements and Independent Auditors’ Reports in our Archive Center.
View Metro Narcotics Financial Statements and Independent Auditors’ Reports in our Archive Center.
South Central Solid Waste Authority (SCSWA)
View SCSWA Financial Statements and Independent Auditors’ Reports in our Archive Center.