Community Engagement Office Services
The Community Engagement Office supports City departments in reaching out to the public to provide information and resources that benefit the community and residents of Las Cruces. The Office supports the community by assisting individual members of the public, civic organizations, neighborhood groups, and community agencies in obtaining and knowing how to use important resources and information that improves the quality of living in Las Cruces.
- Some of those services include:
- Increasing awareness of programs and services provided by the City
- Providing referrals and information to answer public inquiries
- Coordinating with the City Council, City Manager, and Assistant City Managers regarding constituent issues
- Soliciting public input through various methods, including surveys, about City services and programs for continuous improvement to all customers
- Cultivating positive outcomes for members of the public who report issues or problems in their neighborhoods
- Connecting residents to City employees in a meaningful and productive manner
- Increasing public awareness, engagement, and participation with municipal government
- Registering neighborhood groups through the City’s Neighborhood Groups program
- Build strategic relationships through partnerships and collaborations with City departments, external agencies, individuals and groups
- Conduct proactive outreach activities and ensure responsiveness to citizens on questions, issues, and concerns
Neighborhood Leadership Academy
The Relaunch of the Neighborhood Leadership Academy (NLA) is set to take place January 10, 2024. The objective of the NLA is to develop community leaders, provide an understanding of the City's services, engage constituents in City decisions, projects, future of the City, and to increase community pride. Our vision is for all Las Cruces residents to have the opportunity for a meaningful and positive civic engagement with their municipal government.
The free academy consists of ten sessions (one per week for ten consecutive weeks) and a graduation ceremony. The sessions occur from 6 - 8 p.m. on Wednesday evening from January 10 - March 27, 2024,
Participants will meet at various locations around the city to receive firsthand information from City departments. A pre and post survey will be conducted to identify knowledge of participants and to measure qualitative and quantitative data.
The academy has a maximum of 25 participants and will be held once a year. The academy requires a commitment to attend at least 7 of the 10 classes. Registration begins Wednesday, November 1, 2023, and continues through Friday December 29, 2023. Applicants must be 18 years and older and much have their own transportation.
Neighborhood Leadership Academy 10 - Week Agenda & Graduation Ceremony