Storefront Repair Grant
The City of Las Cruces, through the Economic Development Department, is leveraging up to $400,000 in federal American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds to support the economic recovery of small businesses who experienced property damage as a result of the negative economic impacts of the COVID-10 pandemic.
Through the Small Business Storefront Repair Program, small businesses can apply for up to $2,500 in grant funding to help repair storefront property damages that occurred on or after January 1, 2021.
Storefront Repair funds will help cover costs to repair current property damage or reimburse business owners for costs paid out of pocket for past damages. Eligible property damages include but are not limited to broken windows, broken doors, graffiti, broken locks, damage to landscaping and etching on windows. This grant will not cover loss of stolen goods or preventive measures such as guards, cameras or window or door coverings.
The City of Las Cruces will accept applications from small businesses on a continued basis until all funding has been spent. Only one application may be submitted per business, business owner, EIN, SSN, UBI number, business license number, home and/or business address. If all funds are not expended by February 1, 2024, the City will consider a second round of funding which would be open to previous grant recipients.
Applicants are encouraged to review the eligibility, required documentation, selection process and additional information below before applying. All ARPA funding is subject to municipal, state and federal audit requirements.
Funding Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for a Storefront Repair Fund grant, your business must:
- Have experienced direct economic disruption because of COVID-19.
- Provide a copy of the police report indicating damages to the business.
- Provide proof of repairs to broken doors, windows, and/or locks.
- For damage caused between January 1, 2021, and February 1, 2023, please provide proof of payment for repairs.
- For damage caused after February 1, 2023, provide a quote or invoice for repairs, photos of the damage, and photos demonstrating repairs have been completed.
- Have a current City of Las Cruces Business License and be in good standing with the City and State of New Mexico.
- Provide proof of current non-profit status license and be in good standing with the City and State of New Mexico (if applicable).
- Be in compliance with all federal, state and city laws and regulations.
- If applicable, schedule and pass inspections related to repairs.
- Be located in Las Cruces city limits.
- Have no more than 40 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees as of March 15, 2020.
- Have been in business since at least March 15, 2020.
- Be a locally owned, non-corporate franchise, or non-corporate chain business.
- Have experienced physical damage to storefront on or after January 1, 2021.
- Be a for profit business or nonprofit 501(c)(3), 501(c)(6) or 501(c)(19).
- Be currently open to the public and active for business.
- Operate from a physical location and/or mobile truck that serves the general public.
Businesses that are not eligible:
- Short- or long-term rental or investment property (Personal real estate, independent realtors and short-term rentals that include Airbnb, Vrbo, etc.).
- Taxis, rideshares, or food delivery services (e.g., Uber, Lyft, Yellow Cab, Door Dash, Uber Eats, etc.).
- Cannabis shops, growers and dispensaries.
- "Adult entertainment" businesses as defined in City of Las Cruces Municipal Code.
- “Home-based” businesses as defined in City of Las Cruces Municipal Code.
- Business located outside the Las Cruces city limits.
For more information about the program, contact 575-541-2150, or email@example.com.
Click here to apply (applications open February 1, 2023)