- Quality of Life
- Public Art
- Chalk the Plaza
Chalk the Plaza
Chalk the Plaza is the newest public art initiative from Las Cruces Public Art and will debut at the inaugural ¡MIRA! Las Cruces spring festival being held on April 29. Chalk the Plaza is a street chalk art competition to be held during the festival from 12-6 pm. Participating artist or artist teams will be competing for Public Choice Award and Best of Show. Prizes are provided by Visit Las Cruces.
Call for Artists
Las Cruces Public Art Best of Show Prize: Staycation for two from Visit Las Cruces.
Public Choice Award Prize: Certificate and gift card.
¡MIRA! The Arts & Culture of Las Cruces
Applicants will need to provide the following information to complete the application form:
1. Artist/Team name
2. Team participant names (If minors are participating, please provide ages. Minors 15 years or younger must be accompanied by an adult.)
3. A written description of the proposed art
4. A sketch of the proposed chalk art
Application form can be found here
Chalking area will be a block measuring approximately 4’ X 4’. Artwork must interpret the theme "¡MIRA! The Arts & Culture of Las Cruces", which celebrates the arts and culture of the city. Artwork may contain themed iconography, imaginative display, and artful interpretations.
March 3: Call for Artists opens
April 1: Call for Artists closes
April 7: Selected artists notified
April 29th: Chalk the Plaza (in conjunction with ¡MIRA! Las Cruces Festival) Day of Event
12pm: Artist Setup and Contest begins
6pm: Contest ends
7pm: Artists announced
Information, Instructions and Rules
The Chalk the Plaza sidewalk art contest will be held on Organ St. (Between Bank of the West and the Downtown Plaza) There are ten spaces available. (Map is for reference only. Artist spaces are subject to change.)
1. The standard block size is 4’ x 4’. Artwork needs to fill the entire block.
2. The surface of the streets is black asphalt and may have cracks, seams, and other imperfections. White and black tempera paint will be provided by the Chalk the Plaza team for your chalk block base.
3. Artist blocks will be mapped out and assigned by the Chalk the Plaza team.
4. Timeline for contest is from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. Public Choice Award voting ends at 5 p.m.
4. Art must be suitable for public and family viewing. No nudity, gang-related words or symbols, political statements, or vulgar concepts accepted.
5. Artists agree to permit Chalk the Plaza organizers to use artists’ names, images (still and video) and artwork created from the event for any means of promotion. (Full release agreement is in application form.)
Day of Event
Participating artists/teams will receive the following supplies provided by Visit Las Cruces:
- Small bin
- Pack of assorted chalk
- Pack of assorted chalk pastels
- Spray bottle
- One art sponge
- Trash bag
- One bottle each of black and white Tempera paint for base
- Shade structure will be provided to all artists
Artists can bring additional supplies if desired. Suggested supplies include:
- Additional blending tools
- Baby wipes
- Reference images
- Rulers and measuring tape
- Knee/wrist protection
- Finger protection
- Duct tape or painters tape
- Additional chalk
- Tempera paint
Note: Using media other than chalk, chalk pastels or tempera will be cause for immediate disqualification.