Fire investigators believe a homeowner burning weeds led to his home catching fire Wednesday evening.
Shortly before 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 8, Las Cruces firefighters were dispatched to the report of a structure fire on the 5700 block of East Mesa Avenue. Firefighters arrived to find light smoke visible and fire inside the walls of the home.
Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire. No injuries were reported.
Fire investigators learned the homeowner was using a propane torch earlier in the day to burn weeds near his home. Investigators believe heat or flames from the torch likely started the structure fire.
The fire caused an estimated $10,000 in smoke and fire damage.