News Flash Home
The original item was published from 5/9/2019 3:17:00 PM to 5/9/2019 3:17:28 PM.
Posted on: April 17, 2019
[ARCHIVED] Asylum Seeker Report for 4-17-19
- As of midnight, the City of Las Cruces has accepted more than 800 asylum seekers.
- As of 1 p.m. today, 85 arrived with more expected.
- Total bed count; 224 with deficit of 43 for tonight. Looking for additional capacity.
- Active sites are Gospel Rescue Mission, Community of Hope and County Triage Center. El Calvario has offered space.
- Representative from State Medical Reserve Corps arrived at Office of Emergency Management (OEM) today to begin preparations to open a Volunteer Reception Center at OEM tomorrow afternoon to relieve volunteers experiencing burnout. News release to be issued.
- Looking for consolidated facility to serve as single focal point for intake and shelter operations.
- Meerscheidt Recreation Center was clear of asylum seekers as of 9 p.m. last night. It is undergoing rehab today for scheduled opening tomorrow. News release to be issued.
- Doña Ana County receives more county volunteers to assist with travel arrangements at County Triage Center.
- Asylum seekers who book their own travel are typically making their own arrangements to airport/other.
- Communicating with asylum seekers successful with all bilingual interpreters. A few asylum seekers speak Portuguese and are being accommodated.