News Flash Home
The original item was published from 5/9/2019 3:29:00 PM to 5/9/2019 3:29:28 PM.
Posted on: April 24, 2019
[ARCHIVED] Asylum Seekers Report for April 24, 2019
- As of 1 p.m. April 24, 2019, Las Cruces has received and served 2063 asylum seekers.
- The total number of asylum seekers received yesterday was 188. Today Las Cruces received 50 people before 1 p.m.
- The possible shelter locations include: Gospel Rescue Mission, El Caldito, Community of Hope, Crisis Triage, San Jose, and El Calvario (and we are still exploring the use of Frank O’Brien Papen Center).
- 234 people were sheltered in Las Cruces overnight.
- All volunteers and organizations assisting are being asked to provide a timesheet or list of hours to keep track of the amount of time/money spent.
- The Salvation Army has committed to continue providing meals – They are off on Sundays however.
- Phones have been provided at some shelter sites which is helping to reduce the time spent arranging travel plans, and they are allowing asylum seekers to communicate with their sponsors about their well-being.
- Portable showers and laundry facilities are being sought.
- Shelter site security is still being made aware of surroundings.
- The Annunciation House in El Paso and El Calvario has taken in about 100 people giving Las Cruces a little bit of relief.