At a special meeting today, April 3, 2020, the Las Cruces City Council approved $1,072,500 in emergency assistance to assist with the impact to our community caused by the Public Health Order to address the Corona Virus. The money is from the City’s Telshor Fund, money the City receives for the lease of Memorial Medical Center that is jointly owned by the City and County.
- Families & Youth, Inc.: $200,000 for Mayors Meals/My Friends Place/El Crucero
- Las Cruces Public Schools: $150,000 for Las Cruces internet & virtual learning access.
- La Casa: $74,500 for housing & emergency shelter operations & supplies.
- La Pinon: $74,500 for SANE Program (medical & operating supplies, expanded staff hours.)
- Casa De Peregrinos: $74,500 for operating supplies (food/staff.)
- MVCH: $74,500 for rapid rehousing/homeless prevention.
- CAA: $74,500 for Thriving Families-COVID community assistance program.
- CSFP Loaves & Fishes: $2,500 for food boxes for the elderly.
City of Las Cruces
- Utilities: $125,000 to increase utility assistance fund.
- Quality of Life: $100,000 for the essential supply fund.
- Various: $75,000 for drivers for COVID-19 tests & meal delivery.
- Various: $40,000 for PPE for City staff (person-to-person contact.)
- Economic Development: $7,500 for economic crisis flash assessment.
Mayor Ken Miyagishima said today’s emergency assistance is an initial response to the COVID-19 situation locally and additional funding could follow.
City of Las Cruces news releases can be translated into Spanish and multiple other languages using the Select Language feature on the lower right side of the home page of the City website at las-cruces.org under News & Announcements.