Las Cruces police encourage residents of the Legends West neighborhood, and those who frequent North Motel Boulevard and Tashiro Drive, to be prepared for traffic congestion during the high school drive-thru senior celebration ceremonies scheduled for May 21 and May 22 at Field of Dreams.
Drive-thru senior celebrations will be held May 21 for Mayfield High School (9 a.m.), Arrowhead Park Early College High School (1:30 p.m.), and Las Cruces High School (6 p.m.). On May 22, drive-thru ceremonies will be held for Centennial High School (9 a.m.), Rio Grande Preparatory Institute (1 p.m.), and Onate High School (6 p.m.). All ceremonies are scheduled to be held near the west entrance of the Field of Dreams football stadium on Tashiro Drive.
Graduating students and their families will stage in the east parking lot of the Field of Dreams. The drive-thru senior celebration will loop around the north end of the stadium before driving through the west parking lot where graduates will be recognized for their achievements by faculty and school administrators. Students will then exit the west parking lot onto Tashiro Drive.
There will be no viewing or spectator area for the senior celebration. Friends or family of graduates will not be permitted to park along Motel Boulevard or Tashiro Drive.
Only properly licensed and insured drivers can operate vehicles. Police encourage participants to follow driver safety standards, properly use seatbelts, and drive with courtesy. LCPD also advises:
- No speeding.
- No leaning out window, standing through a sunroof, or riding in the bed of a pickup.
- No loud music.
- No cell phone use by the driver.
- No weaving across the centerline of traffic.
- No “rolling coal” or any manipulation of vehicle’s exhaust.
- No accepting gifts, hugs, high-fives, etc. along the route.
- No throwing objects from the vehicle (Silly String, confetti or water balloons, fireworks).
- No exiting vehicle along the route.
- No driving side-by-side.
- No decorating or obstructing vehicle windshield.
- No alcohol use or open containers by anyone in the vehicle.
- No unnecessary obstructing of traffic.
- No ATVs allowed.