An attentive solid waste driver and quick work by Las Cruces firefighters likely prevented damage to a refuse collection truck on Thursday morning.
About 7:15 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 26, a Las Cruces Utilities Solid Waste driver noticed smoke emitting from the hopper of the refuse collection truck. Somehow, recently collected garbage caught fire inside the truck’s hopper.
To prevent damage to the truck, the driver wisely ejected the smoldering refuse onto a vacant parking lot near Farley’s bar and grill, 2499 Foothills Road. Las Cruces firefighters responded and extinguished the smoldering refuse within 10 minutes.
Two Las Cruces Utilities Grappler trucks then collected the refuse from the parking lot and transported it to the Amador Avenue Transfer Station. The refuse was cleared from the parking lot by 10 a.m.
No injuries were reported and there was no reported damage to the refuse collection truck.