To encourage people to carry and use reusable bags, the City of Las Cruces is distributing cloth bags free of charge at the following locations:
- City Hall, 700 N. Main St.
- Thomas Branigan Memorial Library, 200 E. Picacho Ave.
- Munson Senior Center, 975 S. Mesquite St.
- Henry Benavidez Community Center, 1040 McClure Road.
- Frank O’Brien Papen Community Center, 304 W. Bell Ave.
- Sage Cafe, 6121 Reynolds Drive.
- Eastside Community Center, 310 N. Tornillo St.
Additionally, the City will work with any social service providers in Las Cruces who want to distribute free cloth shopping bags to clients, patients, members or visitors of social service providers. Any service centers that would like to pass out free cloth bags should contact Jenny Hernandez at 575/541-2173 or send an email to email@example.com.
The City of Las Cruces initiated Ordinance 2984, on Jan. 1, 2022, to limit the use of plastic bags at most retail establishments.
Most retail businesses cannot provide single-use plastic carryout bags to customers. Retailers can sell reusable bags, provide recycled boxes, or sell paper bags for 10 cents.
For information, go to the City’s website and search for “Bring your bag.” Information also is available by calling the City’s Sustainability Office at 575/541-2177.