Las Cruces firefighters will recognize the 21st anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, attack on the U.S. with a commemorative bell ringing ceremony and memorial stair climb on Sunday morning.
Beginning at 8:30 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 11, firefighters will hold silent watch at Fire Station 1. Starting at 8:46 a.m., they will sound bells in commemoration of the first attack on the World Trade Center on 9/11.
The bell ringing ceremony will commemorate each significant event from that day:
- 8:46 a.m., American Airlines Flight 11 crashed into North Tower.
- 9:03 a.m., United Airlines Flight 175 crashed into South Tower.
- 9:37 a.m., American Airlines Flight 77 crashed into Pentagon.
- 9:59 a.m., collapse of South Tower.
- 10:03 a.m., United Flight 93 crashes near Shanksville, Pa.
- 10:28 a.m., collapse of North Tower.
Beginning at 8 a.m. Sunday, firefighters will participate in a memorial stair climb at Electronic Caregiver Tower, 506 S. Main St. The memorial stair climb, while not necessarily closed to the public, will be held in a private building and in the stairwell that is not conducive to public viewing.
Photos of both events will be posted to the Las Cruces Fire Department’s Facebook page.